Sunday, June 26, 2005

Mrs. Vieira

Once upon a time, a long time ago, in the yard of St. Malachy Elementary School, two little girls joined the lineup outside the door to Mrs. Art’s junior kindergarden class, and there embarked on a life journey that has endured the test of time. My name is Nina, and I am so pleased to be Jennifer’s Maid of Honour. We have been friends for 27 years.

In primary school, we learned our ABCs together, went to each others’ birthday parties, sang in school plays, competed in public speaking (who'd have thought it would have come in handy tonight), and suddenly found ourselves graduating side by side from Grade 8. Although high school took us to different places, we did our very best to keep in touch. Post secondary studies brought us together again where in the blink of an eye, we were convocating, this time from the University of Toronto.

How many times have we dreamed about this moment, when one of us would see the other all grown up? It seems like just yesterday we were kids playing Red Rover. Only months ago you first tried on your wedding gown. Now, as I see my oldest friend in the world, married, I am filled with absolute joy.

Jennifer has been to me the kind of friend everyone hopes for. Someone who is honest and constructive. Someone who listens and is understanding. Someone who is genuinely compassionate.

We have reminisced together, cried together, laughed together. We have even slept (!) together! Most importantly, we have ‘lived and learned’ together. Her valued advice, constant encouragement and solid friendship have helped support me as long as I can remember.

And Stan...from the moment Angela and I first met Stan at the Madison Pub, and ever since, he has consistently proven himself to be worthy of my friend, Jenny. Stan is truly a sweet, kind, and gentle man. Always ready with a smile, generous by nature, willing to extend a helping hand. Although I know Stan for a mere fraction of the time I know Jenny, I feel like I’ve known him forever. When Stan asked Jenny to marry him, she shrieked, and shrieked, and shrieked some more, in absolute delight. What a thrill it was to witness that special moment that has brought us to today.

So much time, love and energy has been put into the planning of their wedding, due in large part to Jenny’s eye for perfection, her attention to detail. Mark, Angela and the rest of the bridal party along with Mr and Mrs Anjo can vouch that everything has been painstakingly orchestrated. The perfectly tied lilac bows on every invitation, the seating blueprints, the contingency plans.

I suspect our mutual classmates Betsy, Liz and Rhea bet big money on whether or not we’d get Jenny to the church on time. Even though it was on her detailed itinerary, Jenny has been known to be late every now and then. Despite the odds, my friend, you did it! In all seriousness, over the last year Jenny has managed the many and minute details that have made this milestone so beautiful. The job was enormous, but Jenny tackled it, head on. Even at the onset of the flu the last few days, she didn’t rest until everything was done. And here we are. Finally.

My dear friend. I am so proud of you. You have worked so hard to get here. I am so happy to see you happy, in love, and now married. Today is your day and Stan’s. Now it’s time to relax and savour the moment.

If everyone could please raise their glasses for a toast in celebration of my kindergarden friend Jenny and her husband Stan. To Mr. and Mrs. Vieira!
Tim and Nina
Daisypath Ticker