Tuesday, January 25, 2005

Onward!

In planning our Fall 2005 wedding, every little piece of this beautiful whole becomes purposeful, significant.

The venue, Miller Lash House is a quaint old stone home, with cathedral ceilings, much wood and several large picture windows overlooking a vast expanse of private parkland. It once belonged to the Dean of Scarborough Campus at the University of Toronto--my alma mater, and current employer--and is now a designated Heritage site. The church, St. Joseph’s Highland Creek is my home parish, and quite literally two steps from the venue. So we could feasibly walk there, although Peter, my brother-in-law has graciously offered to chauffeur us in a modest Mercedes Benz.

Our celebrant, Rev. Fr. Gerry Scott, is my all time favourite priest. Irish. Funny (my sense of funny). A wee bit mischievous. And genuinely compassionate. Tim visited him over a year ago to receive counsel about marrying in the Catholic Church. The two have since dialogued at length about catechism, and we both think he’s cool.

Our sisters, Kareen and Susie, are my bridesmaids and will wear cheongsams (Chinese style dresses) as a tribute to the Gregg family history in Hong Kong. The groomsmen are our brothers, Joe and Dean. Jazmin, my niece is the flower girl since I promised her this role ever since she could speak, and my nephew, Maximillian will be the “ring burier” as he likes to call it.

The flowers will no doubt come from ‘Audrey’s Florists.' My mom has been ordering from Audrey since I was a child and by pure chance, the first bouquet of flowers Tim ever sent me was from Audrey’s--he picked her at random, right out of the phone book.

Our mutual colleague, Sue, who has known us since the very start of our courting, is so easily overcome with emotion, her cheeks reddening and her eyes wet whenever I visit and reminisce about the good old days on the 30th floor. Who would've thought that we'd one day ask her dad, a retired baker, to make our wedding cake?!

As for the music, some of you might know of DJ Rhyme, also known as Elmer. Elmer used to DJ university pub nights, and still frequents downtown clubs. Saulyn, his girlfriend, is my closest friend from university, and the two have offered his cousin's DJ services then as a wedding gift, so that El and Sau can sip, chat and dance the night away as our guests.

And we’re absolutely, positively thrilled about our photographer extraordinaire, who shall remain nameless, the Angel.

There are still things to do. One of the lagging tasks, sending engagement announcements to all our friends and family is almost complete. In fact, it’s being finished this week, so keep your eyes open.

As many of you know, Tim and I both wanted to have a very small, simple and intimate wedding so that we could thoroughly enjoy each other’s company and our wedding guests. So small, in fact, that on my side I count my three closest friends: Jennifer from primary school; Alina, from high school; and Saulyn, from university. The remaining wedding guests are but immediate family. Same goes for Tim.

We both very much look forward to celebrating with everyone else dear to us when time and circumstance allow, most certainly when we have a home of our own.

To that end, onward!
Tim and Nina
Daisypath Ticker