Wednesday, November 24, 2004

Peace & Quiet Owen Sound

Whoever thought becoming engaged could be so exhausting!

Friday night we drove from Toronto to Guelph stopping for a bite at Babel Fish Resto, overnighting at his parents' house and then taking a drive to Owen Sound for a few days. Tim somehow thought I had an inclination the proposal was coming and figured he'd throw me off with the big IF word. Meanwhile, I had no clue.

"IF we should go forward in the relationship," he started, though we'd always spoken more definitively. IF? IF??? Try as I may, try as I might, he wouldn't qualify that infuriating little IF with a WHEN, and my dinner was done. Hmph!

The original plan Saturday was to take an early morning plane ride over the Fall colours, as a supposed birthday gift from his mom. Tim was a pilot and he was excited to share this past passion with me. I was ready, Gravol in hand--except that rain and high winds were forecast. Ruined was his secret plan to fly me to a secluded island where two Muskoka chairs would furnish the big moment.

Instead, we decided to visit St. Jacob's, surely the best place to buy a bushel or two of fresh red peppers, and one of our favourite spots. And this is where it all happened. No place more fitting, no time more perfect.

I called my mom, then my sister, then my friends, then my future mother-in-law. All the while, Tim listened, waited. Patiently. Briefly stopped by his parents' house to pick up our stuff before heading to a faraway place called Meaford, near Owen Sound, where he had booked the most idyllic Bed and Breakfast, with a stunning view of both water and mountains, both sun and stars. A truly beautiful place.

A craft festival was happening in the area, so we went from place to place, hand in hand, grinning. Together we bought our first pieces for our future home--a ceramic sugar and cream set, and a hand made wooden bowl and vase. Despite our initial reservations (no pun intended, honey), we ended up dining at Ted's Range Road Diner--essentially a plywood arena under a corrugated tin roof, with tables and chairs in the Brunswick House style. Best Prime Rib ever! En-route home we walked through a conservation area taking in the coloured leaves and stopping to wonder at Inglis Falls.

It was thrilling. All of it.

Still is.


Posted by Hello Engagement dinner - Ted's Range Road Diner
Tim and Nina
Daisypath Ticker